Friday, June 23, 2006

American Library Association Conference in New Orleans

So I am in New Orleans now, in the Convention center.. BLOGGING. ooooh.. Maybe I should blog the American Library Association meeting. First though, the flight and travel.

4:50 am-- URG.. No Shower. forced to eat something.. Not awake. Forced to use alternate deoderant because i already packed mine. I have a bad sore throat.. coughing.. meh.

6-7 am-- Detroit Airport.. blah.

9:20 am-- Atlanta. The junk food machines have Mr. Pibbs and Pork Rinds. I opt for a low calorie bad tasting smoothie.

11 am--Starving in New Orleans.. during the final decent, the plane is silent as everyone cranes their necks over to see if you can tell half the city is destroyed.. My middle seat doesn't afford much of a view, but the girl next to me is a Folklore major studying for test on Proverbs.. I read over her shoulder the whole flight.. yeah I'm annoying like that.

I meet SI staffer on plane.. she lost her luggage but she pays for my cab to Doubletree and promises to go to Mulottes(sp?) with me tonight. Score!

HOLY CRAP ITS HOT AND HUMID. Glad I brought lots of cotton and linen.

12 pm--Doubletree. Its kinda crummier than I thought it would be, (black hair in the sink!) but they gave me a warm cookie at check-in, so I will survive. Unpack my three dresses, three skirts, seven shirts.. for three and a half days. But I have a BIG Carry-on, so it was fine. My roommate will arrive at the hotel probably around 2 am. yay.

3:52 pm--I am now at the convention center, having registered. At 4pm I will go to a YALSA event. I am sitting in the CC lobby peeking into the exhibit hall where a GIANT Google sign is winking at me through a proped door. The CC is UGLY UGLY UGLY and HUGE.. even though half of it is still being renovated. My arm hurts from carrying my laptop and mega-purse.. think I will get a shuttle back to the hotel when this is over.

A few minutes ago I plopped onto the floor next to a girl in pink, mentally identifying her as a youth librarian (I was right). She identified me as the same. I guess we are obvious in our colorful outfits and sensible sneakers. She's in school in Missouri. We had a nice chat, despite my death-rattle cough.

That's all for now... with advil and cough drops I am doing okay!

1 Comments:

Blogger Thomas Nephew said...

We want all the breaking news!

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home